Saturday 14 January 2012

The baboon spider of Lydenburg

This you see on my hand is a golden brown baboon spider I found on a trip around Lydenburg area.Its latin name is Augacephalus breyri and it eats anything it can overpower and grows up to 6 cm long. I were so exited when I found it,offcause it was my dream to discover one of those. I first  wanted to keep it but then thought about my iguana that died (see label campaing against import of  alien  animals) and then decided to leave the spider in the wild where it belongs, even though I would have liked to study it for a while.


                                                                   
                                                                                                   (above)Baboon spider on my hand.
                                                              

                                                                                          Baboon spider on my arm(above).













                                                                
                                                                                         

5 comments:

  1. Vir spinnekoppe gril ek Mathys. Is die ou nie "gevaarlik" nie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nee moenie worry nie tannie Sandra hierdie een is glad nie gevaarlik nie hy kan maar net seer byt. Al bobejaan spinnekoppe wat regtig gevaarlik is is die gehoringde bobejaan spinnekop en die lesser baboon spider, daai 2 is gevaarlik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! ek hou baie van jou blok Mathys!!!!

    ReplyDelete